Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Tanqueray and Tonic, an all-time classic.

Sweet.

The first time I tasted Tanqueray Gin was back in the early 1980’s. I was living in the Bronx and my best friend Jim convinced me to try one. I was reluctant to be sure for many reasons, firstly the only Gin I had ever had up to that point had been some pretty nasty bottom shelf stuff which tasted like turpentine that my father had on hand. Secondly I was a true bigot back in those days, and anything that came from England, especially London, I boycotted. (Though it is distilled in Scotland these days) Yes I was young, passionate and stupid, now I am not so young or passionate but still pretty numb. Anyway Jim conned and cajoled until I had a wee sip just to make him shut up and leave off the topic.

And as they say, “the rest is History”.
 

A simple work of art.

To Make:  1.5-2.0 oz Tanqueray Gin,  3-4.0 oz Tonic water
Fill glass with Ice, add Gin, then Tonic water squeeze a lime wedge over the drink and add as garnish. Stir slightly so as to not flatten the carbonation and serve.

The TnT (yes like dynamite) is a crisp refreshing eye opening beverage that pleases most everyone. I believe that this classic’s popularity rests within the quality of the Gin itself. Tanqueray has a unique juniper bite to it that blends well with a bit of lime, cut with ice and tonic water. One does not have to “acquire” a taste for the TnT, its distinctiveness and simplicity grab you in a positive way right from the get go.


Add a splash of Cranberry juice for variety

I had forgotten this classic over the years, what with my driving passion for Bushmill’s, but Mike mentioned it in passing one afternoon and I decided to add it to our drink list for game day. Of course it was a success, so much so that the TnT has become Mike’s main cocktail when we all get together switching only occasionally to a Dark and Stormy for variety. Even Tuna, who has an unending thirst for dark rum, will have a Tanqueray or two when the fancy strikes him.  If you are looking for an easy to pour, light cocktail that tastes wonderful you can’t go wrong with the classic; Tanqueray and Tonic.
Cheers
AL


1 comment:

We always appreciate comments and feed back so feel free to make your opinion heard here. Please remember to try and stay on topic and not to be too awfully abusive in your critics.