Friday, November 8, 2013

Bushmills Rocks.

One of Northern Ireland's Greatest!

I've made mention over the past year, on many an occasion, that my most beloved of drinks, is simply a Bushmills Irish Whiskey on the rocks. It is a very beautiful and calming libation, one that has been by my side for the last twenty eight years. Through the hardships of my early twenties, to the golden prosperity of my thirties, and later, Bushmills was there helping to keep my tempestuous soul tame.

It was March of 1985, that my romance with this fair lady of Northern Ireland began. It had been a rather depressing day, cold, and dreary, with dark skies threatening sleet and snow. I was worn and tired from another seemingly endless trek of pounding the pavement in search of work. Chilled to the bone I wandered into my local pub named the Celtic House and sat down at the bar. Not having much money in my pocket, I thought I'd go with what we used to call "the Hard Stuff" to stretch that coin as far as it could go. Tommy the barman came over with a hallo and asked me what I would like, as I was half frozen I replied: "anything that will thaw me out, just not a pint thank you."

With a smirk he turned away and grabbed a bottle of Bushmills (white label), poured out a fine dram and said: "That will do the trick I'm sure." I eyed the golden liquid with a skeptics glare but upon putting it to my lips, and feeling the warmth return to my limbs, I could not help but smile, and give my savior a nod of appreciation. From that moment on I was enthralled.

Soothing just to look at.

Ingredients:
2 -3 Oz Bushmills Irish Whiskey (I prefer the ten year old Single Malt)
Rocks/Old Fashion glass
Ice

Method:
Add a couple of ice cubes to the rocks glass, then pour your whiskey in over it and serve.

Now some may say that the ice is a waste, and that the only way to drink good whiskey is to have it "Neat". Usually I hear this from men who either are of refined taste, like our friend Jon Clark of Oregon, or men of ignorance who drink whiskey more as a symbol of machismo than for the flavor. Neat is simply whiskey in a glass with a drop or two of clear water added to bring out the wonderful qualities of the spirit. I prefer my drinks cold, and rarely if ever imbibe liquor neat. The ice will add water to the spirit as it dissolves which in my opinion serves the same purpose as adding a couple of drops, but with the benefit of chilling the drink.

I have a personal ritual that I perform with my Bushmills, which along with the spirit helps sooth my savage heart. After pouring I wait at least one minute to let the ice to begin to do its work. Then I will take my glass by the rim, and with my wrist, give the tincture a quick spin moving the ice around in the golden liquid. I find that in so doing the water smooths the drink quicker, plus it makes that happy tinkling sound that always makes me smile.

Neat or Rocks, you cant go wrong with a dram or two of this fine whiskey. Especially now that the weather has changed and colder days are the norm. So fill up your glass, take a seat in your favorite armchair, and relax. Northern Ireland's fair, golden, maiden will softly ease your troubles away.

Cheers
AL

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always appreciate comments and feed back so feel free to make your opinion heard here. Please remember to try and stay on topic and not to be too awfully abusive in your critics.