Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sleeping with the Fishes


[Mike's Note: Tuna has taken up some writing duties. I'm still providing the photos and captions.]

This is my first recap in a while, be gentle.
 
The day started a little later than planned, due to some delays in arrivals, but once drinks were in hand we quickly jumped into one of our newer games: “Shadows Over Camelot”. This is an Arthurian themed game (in case you couldn’t guess) where one player is chosen at random to be a hidden traitor. We love hidden games with hidden traitors, and Mike quickly jumped in to accuse people as the traitor. Of course, we were playing a tutorial where there was no traitor, but that’s never stopped him before.

Mike played Sir Percival, the only honorable one of the lot


Erin also invited herself to join, which I admit I was a bit nervous about, but she’s fairly well behaved and plays well. If the group has any issue with her inviting herself to play, then you need to speak up. Otherwise, she’ll keep sitting at the table when there’s an open spot.

The game went well, we managed to complete the necessary quests to defeat the encroaching evil minions of evil. It took a while, in part because we were unfamiliar with the rules and we played pretty cautiously. I can’t wait until next time when we get to have a real traitor in our midst, it will add a whole new level of difficulty.

The Lady of the Lake

 
Brian joined us around the time we were winding down the game, in time to join us for our next adventure into the lands of Italian crime families with the mafia inspired game “Nothing Personal”. In this game you lay out cards representing members of the crime family, and the players have to gain influence, cash and more importantly RESPECT with the various mobsters. This was also a lot of fun (despite my poor performance), though I admit that I think the game balance might be a bit off. 
Influence of the Capo means a lot of control over the game and makes it hard for the other players to overcome; though that may be something we can discover how to overcome in future games.

Mike bears the Capo ring

Want to whack another gangster? Here's how...


Play of the game goes to Anthony, who managed to steal all of Al’s respect and cash during the first turn, pushing him into an early lead. Al then spent the remainder of the game trying to get back at Anthony for this move, teaming up with Mike to further this goal. This led to Mike winning, and Al and I sharing last place a bit. I finally overcame this disparity and took over dead last.

Lots of influence chips on the gangsters.
Looks like many of these guys are off to prison soon.
 
Valerie showed up about halfway through “Nothing Personal” and I felt a bit bad for her having to sit around waiting for us to finish. Brian departed after finishing up and Val joined us for a final game of “King of Tokyo”, for those unfamiliar it’s a simple enough game where players take the role of giant monsters attacking the city of Tokyo. Erin rejoined us for this game, having to sit out “Nothing Personal” because there wasn’t enough playing pieces.

There was a bit of early decimation where Valerie managed to do a ton of damage (at least I think it was Valerie [Mike's Note: It was and I was hurt quite badly]), resulting in some quick deaths to some of the monsters. It rapidly turned into a war of attrition, trying to stay live longer than the other players.

Cyber Bunny Dies


King of Tokyo can be won in two different ways, either by points or surviving the longest. It came down to Erin and I at the end, she only needed one more point to win and I was low on health. One point is very easy to come by, and she grinned at me while she rolled the winning dice. Three points is a little overkill though.

I often win being a sneaky bastard (which I’m quite proud of by the way), so there was much rejoicing around the table as I was beaten by my thirteen year old daughter. However as I’ve pointed out recently, if I can be beaten by a thirteen year old girl and I continue to win against my guild mates, it only highlights their poor playing skills. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Does your group have the Halloween Expansion for KOT? I don't know anyone who does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we do, Tuna bought the base game awhile back but we've only played it a few times. If he has the expansion he hasn't shared it with us yet.

    ReplyDelete

We always appreciate comments and feed back so feel free to make your opinion heard here. Please remember to try and stay on topic and not to be too awfully abusive in your critics.