Friday, September 6, 2013

Al's Blackberry Vodka Tonic.

Al's Blackberry Vodka Tonic.

If any of you have not yet guessed, I am something of a drink geek, which goes hand in hand with my other "geeky" traits like gaming and reading zombie novels. I am always on the look out for different cocktails, and recipes, so when I came across the base formula for this concoction the wheels began to spin, and my mind raced.

The original was a gin based drink that used lime instead of lemon, and I am sure it works well if one was to stick with it. However, I decided to switch it up and substitute fresh lemon juice for the citrus and Vodka for the base alcohol, and I can say with confidence I nailed this right out of the gate. After making a couple of these two weeks ago and bragging to everyone at my work about it the next day (vanity runs strong in me), I received no less than five requests for the ingredients list and method. I don't think my cohorts have shown this much interest in my mad alchemy experiments since I introduced them to the Dark and Stormy.

Ingredients:

6 large ripe Blackberries
.5 to 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 ounce simple syrup
1.5 to 2 ounces of Vodka (Grey Goose is my preferred brand)
2 to 3 ounces of Tonic Water

Method:

1. Muddle Blackberries and lemon juice in the bottom of a cocktail shaker or Boston glass. Fill with ice then add simple syrup and vodka. Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.

2. Fill a Collins glass with ice. Double strain into serving glass using a cocktail strainer on your shaker and mini fine mesh strainer (held over the glass). The double strain prevents seeds and pulp from getting into the drink. Add tonic water and stir gently.

3. Garnish, you can garnish with a lemon wheel, skewered Blackberries, or you can simply toss two or three berries into the drink itself.


What it is supposed to look like.


I know this looks really simple but once you start crafting you find that simplicity too, has its pitfalls, so note the following:

When Muddling the berries, really crush them up good. Don't be a frisky Eejit and just start slamming your muddler down in the shaker, because if you do you will find yourself and your counter covered in purple stains. Yes, I'm an Eejit and did that on my first go. When straining, the pulp from the fruit will want to clog your cocktail strainer, thus you will need to give the shaker a wee shake with your wrist every now and again to loosen it up. Lastly do not over stir!!!! When I say stir Gently that is exactly what I mean. If you over stir you will flatten the drink.

This little pick me up is just the right combination of citrus, sugar and alcohol. It doesn't overpower with sweet or tart flavor, but simply blends the best of both together smoothly. I don't suggest making these for big gatherings, as they are bit time consuming. But at home on a sunny afternoon, one taste of this summer drink will make all the effort worth it.

Cheers
AL

No comments:

Post a Comment

We always appreciate comments and feed back so feel free to make your opinion heard here. Please remember to try and stay on topic and not to be too awfully abusive in your critics.