Friday, September 27, 2013

The Old Fashioned

Made with Rye or Bourbon, this classic aims to please.

Well as the colder weather has begun to hearken unto us again, I cast my mind to spirits I associate with fall and winter. I know you can drink American Rye and Bourbon whiskies any time of the year, and there are hundreds of cocktails with these fine spirits in them for all seasons. But for me, the smell of rye, makes me think of harvest, of chill evenings, purple tinged skies, and a good strong drink before dinner. There is something warm and comforting in the golden hues and spice scent of these two classic liquors, like a recollection of a time lost, an age when people enjoyed an evening cocktail as part of their day and not as a guilty pleasure. Yes, I am a bit old fashioned, but that's OK because one of my favorite whiskey cocktails is too, and it is conveniently named such so I'll not forget.

This aperitifs title says it all and does not lie, for this drink can be traced as far back as 1806 in which it was first described as a cocktail. President Truman and his wife Bess enjoyed this beverage without orange peel, lemon peel, bitters or sugar. (Essentially double Bourbon rocks) FDR was served one made with scotch once by an assistant and cried: "Silly, I've never heard of such a thing. It's absolutely sacrilegious".

It seems everyone has an opinion on not only what makes a good Old Fashioned but also on the proper method right down to the stir. Fruit? Fruit muddled? Sugar? Simple syrup or none? How many dashes of bitters? etc. etc. etc. Do an Internet search and you will find a thousand variations of this simple drink, each proclaiming it is "the Best". Me? I'm all in, because my ego cannot be bruised by some eejit who thinks an Old Fashioned should be a "fruit cup", or any other prattling child who believes that it is but whiskey on the rocks. For them I say; "Get back in your pram."

A True Old Fashioned is somewhere in between those two extremes, a blend of sugar, water, and high quality spirit, put together in such a way so as to lighten the heart but so too, to tempt the appetite. Crafted with care, an Old Fashioned is a wonderful, refined cocktail, that speaks to another age, more dignified. This is my recipe, "the Best", in which I use simple syrup, for the sake of ease, instead of pure cane sugar and water.

Use quality spirits, like Bulleit, Maker's Mark, and Knob Creek


Ingredients:
2 ounces of American Whiskey, Rye or Bourbon (I prefer Rye in this drink)
.5 ounce Simple syrup
2-4 dashes bitters (more bitters for more spice)
Orange to peel for garnish

Method:
Add simple syrup to a rocks/old fashioned glass. Next splash in your bitters to taste (I like four). Stir it up real well with a bar spoon. Place two fresh clean ice cubes in glass and add one ounce of your whiskey, again stir with the bar spoon to blend the tincture and let the ice dissolve a little. Add more ice and your last ounce of whiskey and repeat the stir process. Lastly, with a vegetable peeler slice off a good peel from the orange over the glass. Trim it up, then twist over the glass to get the oils out and run it round the rim for an extra touch. Pop the peel in the side of the drink and serve. The essence of orange really compliments the spirit.

Notes: Fresh, clean, cubed ice is best, do not use the little half moons that come from ice makers in your freezer as the control of the stir is lost as well as the beauty of the finished drink. Cubed ice tends to keep the drink colder for a longer period of time. Cherry garnish can be added if you so desire but it does nothing but add color for presentation sake. Some recipes call for a top off with soda water to fill the glass, I do not suggest this as I feel it cheapens the whole drink, bigger does not always mean better, you are going for quality, not quantity here.

Next game day, I will be making the Old Fashioned for our thirsty crew, both with Bulleit rye which has a really nice spiciness to it and Maker's Mark bourbon, which is sweet yet subtle. Hopefully this old American classic will meet with their approval. I know that if you like whiskey then this old drink is sure to please not only yourself, but any of your stodgy old guests, like me.

Cheers
AL

4 comments:

  1. Since you're on a 'historic binge' kick, how about a Zazerac (Sazerac is the more common name, however one of those should really be made specifically with Sazerac cognac, I feel). The drink is one of the oldest cocktails in the US, dating from the mid-1800's in New Orleans.
    I prefer the rougher Zazerac version, using whiskey (rye, most commonly) which is a bit newer, and came about in the late 1800's when the grape harvest in France was so poor that cognac was virtually unavailable.
    I noticed you had a bottle of Bulleit rye whiskey on the shelf (and hopefully you didn't notice the depleted level of it after I left), and that would work very well...
    Zazerac:
    Serve straight up in an Old Fashion glass, lemon twist garnish
    2 ounces Rye whiskey
    Three dashes Peychaud's Bitters (not Angostura)
    One sugar cube or 1 tsp simple syrup (the sugar cube is a 'tip of the hat' to the absinthe)
    Splash of absinthe (I prefer the Pacifique brand, which like the Bulleit rye, is a NW creation)
    Here's one description of the procedure for mixing:
    Two old fashioned or rocks glasses are packed with ice and water to chill. Empty one, then muddle the sugar cube or simple syrup with the bitters in it. Add the rye to this mixture. Stir to combine. Empty the ice from the other glass. Pour the absinthe into the glass and swirl to coat the sides of the glass. Any excess absinthe is discarded (yeah, right; like that's gonna happen). Pour the rye/sugar/bitters mixture into the coated glass. Twist a lemon peel over the glass and rub the rim of the glass with the peel. The peel can be discarded or placed into the cocktail.
    Note: Be careful not to overdo the absinthe, as it can overtake the whiskey.
    Note 2: Like the Bronx, this drink is not for everyone (by any reckoning) but it is a wonderful trip back to the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandsyr, thanks for the Zazerac recipe, I'll keep it in mind for a possible try out. As it stands right now I have four drinks lined up for blog posts two of which I must experiment with. Once I get through those I'll take a closer look at this storied cocktail of yours. I have never done anything with absinthe, that being the case I will need to do much research before I spend my hard earned dollars on it. I have become a bit cautious since the rather expensive failure of the Negroni.

    Cheers
    AL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite drink. I prefer to use agave rather than simple syrup though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to use agave, though I confess the thought has crossed my mind.

      Delete

We always appreciate comments and feed back so feel free to make your opinion heard here. Please remember to try and stay on topic and not to be too awfully abusive in your critics.